Sponsoring a Guest on the NMU Network
All computers that wish to use the NMU Wireless or Wired connections on campus must be registered. Current NMU Faculty, Staff, Students, and Retirees can register machines on the network. If there is a guest on campus that needs internet access, currently only Faculty and Staff can sponsor them. To sponsor a guest:
- Open a Web Browser
- In the URL, go to http://register.nmu.edu and click the "Sponsor a visitor" link. You can login with your current NMU UserID and password.
- Once you login, you will see a window similar to the one below. Click on "Guest Sponsor" on the left side of the page to continue.
- Fill in the required boxes to add a new sponsor. Be sure to carefully type in each requested piece of information, as it may be needed later. (The guest will need the email information as entered by the sponsor.) You can choose a start date up to a month in advance. If you know a guest is arriving, and they require internet access, it is best to complete this prior to their arrival. It can take up to an hour for the guest to be registered.
- Click on "Submit Request" to add the sponsor request. You will notice a green bar at the top of the screen that indicates your sponsor request was successful.
- It may take up to an hour for the request to be active. Once it is active, the guest should connect to the WiFi access point named "NMU", open a web browser, and navigate to "http://register.nmu.edu" on the machine that requires internet access. The guest can use their email address, which was entered by the sponsor, in both the User ID and password fields.
- After clicking "Sign In", the guest will be able to register their machine. The registration will stay active for one day, so if they need to access the internet during the next day, they will need to register using "http://register.nmu.edu" again. The guest will be able to register their computer for as long as was requested when the guest sponsor entry was added. Once that time period expires, a new entry will have to be made by a current NMU Faculty or Staff member.