G Suite Opt-in
New students, staff and faculty are automatically started with a Google Workspace Account (Formerly GSuite).
You can log in through gmail.nmu.edu or gmail's web site. Make sure to use your full NMU email address and the password you use for all your NMU accounts. If you already have a gmail account, you'll need to Add a New Account and enter your NMU credentials.
Retirees or returning students who left NMU before 2017 must manually enable Google Workspaces (formerly GSuite) on their account to receive their NMU email
Please keep the following in mind before opting in:
- New email to your @nmu.edu address will be delivered to the Google mail server (including calendar invites).
- Email forwarding settings set through MyUser will be ignored.
- The Webmail link in MyNMU will link to Google Gmail.
- Old email messages will not be automatically moved to your @nmu.edu gmail account.
- Old email can be accessed in yourwebmail account as long as you had moved them into folders, otherwise any mail over 21 days is deleted from the inbox.
- Once you opt into G Suite you cannot go back to receiving messages with the previously used NMU email systems.
TO BEGIN USING G SUITE
- Please note the NMU HelpDesk hours before opting in if you anticipate needing help. Currently the hours are displayed in the upper right corner of this page.
- Log in to MyUser and click on the 'G Suite' tab and scroll down to find the Opt-in option and click the 'Submit' button.
- Click on the gmail.nmu.edu link provided on the page to set up gmail for the first time.
After opting in to G Suite you will have access to the following apps and more:
A brief introduction to G Suite's features is available at the G Suite Learning Center's QuickStart Guide
You might also want to use the Recommended G Suite Settings others have provided.
What to do with your older email
- If you only need a few of the older messages, you could use the access methods listed above to forward the previously received and sent messages to your G Suite account (yourID@nmu.edu).
- If you have a large quantity of messages, folders, and other items to move to G Suite you can use the instructions in the links below to import the content from the older systems to your G Suite account.