Installing and Using Zoom
If having issues with the camera freezing on your Thinkpad, visit Camera Freezes on Thinkpad for assistance.
Faculty Use of Zoom
Please visit this CTL document Using Zoom for information on using Zoom through Educat.
Joining a Zoom meeting from a hyperlink or code.
- Click on the hyperlink you were provided in Educat or by email. If you were only given a code go to https://zoom.us/join and enter the code.
Your default browser will open and prompt you to download and open a file titled “Zoom_launcher.exe”. This will only need to be completed the first time you attempt to connect to a Zoom video meeting.
Follow the onscreen prompts to install the downloaded file. Each browser and operating system treats this differently. Supported browsers and system requirements can be found here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-Requirements-for-PC-and-Mac
You can also find instruction on using Zoom on your smarthphone (Android or iPhone).
- Once installed you will be prompted to enter your name.
- Next click on “Join”.
The Zoom meeting interface will now open. A window will open to allow you to either “Join Audio” OR “Test Mic & Speaker”. You should select “Test Mic & Speaker” for your first Zoom video meeting.
- Click on “Test Speaker” button to determine that your speakers are working. You should be able to hear a chime. Once complete, click on “Test Mic”. You will notice the button changes to “Recording”. Speak in a natural voice for a few seconds. The button will then change to “Playing”. You should then hear your voice recording played back. Once you’ve successfully tested your microphone and speakers you can close this window.
- Now click the “Join Audio” button in the window. This will allow both your audio and video to be shared in the Zoom video meeting.
- If at any time you want to stop transmitting video and/or audio, you can click on the microphone or camera icon in the bottom left corner of the Zoom interface to temporarily mute either or both.
For more information or tutorials, visit the Zoom Help Center.
If still need assistance, please contact NMU Audio Visual - 906-227-2913 or the Helpdesk - 906-227-2468.
You can sign up for a free Zoom account by going to: https://zoom.us/signup and choosing the Free account option. It is a simple step-by-step process. If you get the following screen, just click Join the Account and you will proceed to finish up.