Recommended G Suite Settings
One recommendation is to set up the Chrome web browser so http://gmail.nmu.edu and http://calendar.google.com are the 2 home pages that open up in 2 tabs when you open Chrome. This is a way to use Chrome similar to the way most people use Microsoft Outlook to switch between the email and calendar functions. You can also 'pull' a tab away from the browser to have it show up in its own window. This works well if you have 2 screens and want your email on one screen and your calendar on the other. To set up the 2 home pages:
1. Open the Chrome web browser.
2. Open the first tab to http://gmail.nmu.edu.
3. Open a new tab to http://calendar.google.com.
4. Go to the "3 Dots" icon in the upper right of the browser window and choose "Settings".
5. Scroll down to the "On startup" section and click the "Use current pages" link.
6. Close the "Settings" tab.
The following settings are the ones most people change. A short description is included.
Go to Gmail > Mail Settings (Gear icon in the upper right) > Settings > General tab.
- Undo Send: Enable Undo Send (Allows you a few seconds to undo sending a message if you hit the send button by mistake).
- Conversation View: Conversation view off (Turns off the threaded conversations view of email messages).
- Signature: (You can create a signature for composed messages you want to send).
- Vacation Responder: (You would use this in place of the ones previously available on other NMU email services).
Click the "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the page once you've made your changes.
Set up a Gmail 'viewing pane' (similar to an Outlook Preview pane)
- Go to Gmail > Mail Settings (upper right) > Labs.
- Scroll down to "Preview Pane," enable it, and save your changes.
- Once enabled, a new button will appear in the upper right of your inbox. To toggle between the old-fashioned Gmail inbox and the preview pane, click the button on the left.
Setting gmail as your default email client sets up your computer so if you click on an email address in a browser or other application Windows will Chrome and gmail as the default mail application.
Compose Gmail messages in a floating window allows you to move and resize the window when composing new messages.
Forwarding Google Group Posts to your GMail Account - YouTube - Covers forwarding all messages a Google group receives to your email account AND Setting up a filter to automatically move messages a gmail label.
How to create an Alias On Gmail - YouTube - Covers setting up a gmail alias and unique signature for replies using a Google group email address.
Canned Messages - Canned messages can be used to provide text for quick reponses to commonly received messages.
Google Calendar Settings
Go to Google Calendar > Settings (Gear icon in the upper right) > Settings > General tab.
- Events from Gmail: Uncheck Add automatically (Prevents Google from automatically adding calendar entries it finds in your email).
- Working hours: (Set your working hours and allows you to show a warning if someone try schedule an event outside of your working hours).
- Event dimming: Uncheck both options
- Custom view: 5 Days (This way you can see the Mon-Fri work week as an option).
- Location: 49855 (So you can get an accurate weather icon in the calendar view).
- Show weather based on my location: °F