Export Outlook Distribution List to Google Contacts
We recommend you only use this method to export very large distribution lists. For small distribution list, it is more efficient to create a contact group in Google and then add contacts to the group.
Step 1: Save Distribution List as Text file
- Open Outlook,
- Click the Distribution List you want to export.
- Click "File, Save As…"
- On the "Save As" window, select "Text Only (*.txt)" in the "Save As Type" drop down on the bottom.
- Name the file, for example list01.txt, and then save it on the local machine.
Step 2: Open the saved Text file in Microsoft Excel
- Open Microsoft Excel.
- Open the saved file above, make sure the Files of Type should be All Files, or Text Files.
- When you select the list01.txt from previous step, you will be automatically redirected to Text Import Wizard.
- Accept all the default to complete the import process.
- Delete first few rows (about 4), like “Distribution List Name: ….” , “Members:”, or empty rows.
- Insert the first row as the header according to the information in other rows, such as Name, Email Address, etc. Check the following page for details, http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=12119
Step 3: Save Excel file as CSV file
- In Excel, click File, Save As and on the Save As window, make sure you change the Save as Type as CSV.
- Name your file, for example list01.csv and you are done with the exporting.
Step 4: Import CSV file to Google Contacts
- Create a new group in https://contacts.google.com using the option the menu on the left side of the window.
- Choose "Import Contacts" from the menu on the left side of the window and follow the regular routine to import contacts to Google.
- Make sure to check “Also add these imported contacts to:” this just created group.
- Now this new group can be used just like any contact.
Rate this Article: