Mapping a Network Drive
Faculty, staff, and some students have access to an NMU network drive. This offers the opportunity to share files with others in the department. It is important to note that these folders are only available from an NMU network connection such as WiFi, wired or WiMAX. Some offices are required to use the VPN client in order to connect to a network drive. Mapping these drives give you easy access to network folders without having to manually connect each time.
- For department share you would use \\departmentshare.nmu.edu\deptname
1. Minimize all open windows and single-click anywhere on the background to make sure "Finder" is the active application on the top left of the screen.
2. Once you see "Finder" in the top left corner, click the "Go" button. Scroll down and click "Connect to Server."
3. Type the path of the share you are trying to map. In most cases you will need to start the server address with "smb://"
4. Once the path is entered click the "+" sign, and then click "Connect."
5. Type in your credentials. Check the "Remember this password in the keycahin" to allow the drive to map automatically. Click "Connect."
6. Once you connected your mapped network drive should appear on the upper-right hand portion of your desktop. Double clicking it will show its contents.