Setting Up Google Apps Sync
The Google Apps Sync tool creates a “Google Apps” Outlook profile that can be used to access the email, calendars, contacts, and other items available in G Suite and makes them available to you in Outlook. It also sets Outlook to prompt you to select which profile to use when it starts, with the “Google Apps” Outlook profile set as the default, so all you have to do is click "OK" to use Outlook to access your G Suite content.
The MAPI interface created by the Google Apps Syncs tool doesn't currently allow you to adjust the size of the cached file of gmail data on your computer. This could slow your computer down and potentially fill your hard drive until no space is available. For this reason it is recommended to use the Google Apps Sync tool to ONLY import your Outlook contacts and calendar and then adding the gmail account to Outlook using IMAP settings to the newly created Outlook profile. The IMAP access to gmail allows you to vary the amount of cache of gmail data on your computer.
2. Exit Outlook.
3. Download the Google Apps Sync tool from the Google Apps Sync page by clicking the “Download the Google App Sync” button in the top right of the page.
4. If prompted to save the file. Click "Save".
5. The download page will update with instructions. Open the downloads option in your browser and double click the "googleappssyncsetup.exe" file to run the program.
6. You will be prompted to allow the progam to make changes click "Yes". After this an "Installing..." windows will be displayed.
7. You will get a prompt for your G Suite log in, enter your yourID@nmu.edu, click "Continue" and then enter your NMU password if prompted.
8. You will be prompted to allow "G Suite Sync for Microsoft Outlook" access to a list of information in Outlook. Click "Allow" at the bottom of the list.
The web page will be updated to “Authorization has been granted successfully. Please switch to your application.”
9. Close the browser window.
10. You will be prompted for "import" and "crash report" setttings. Check the "Import data from an existing profile" uncheck all but the "Contacts" and "Calendar" checkboxes, and click "Create profile". If prompted in the Google Apps Sync application, select your account in the drop down menu. Uncheck all options and click "Continue".
11. Once the profile is created you will be notified. Click "Start Microsoft Outlook".
12. Outlook will open, click "OK" to select starting Outlook using the new “Google Apps” Outlook profile.
13. You will be notified of the initial sync with your G Suite content. Google Apps Sync will now begin to display all contacts, and calendar events from your NMU G Suite account in Outlook. Wait until it is complete.
14. Close the browser windows and the installation complete window.