G Suite Opt-in
NMU has begun switching email accounts from on campus mail servers to gmail accounts accessible via http://gmail.nmu.edu.
NOTE: your email address will remain the same - Userid@nmu.edu
After opting in to G Suite you will have access to the following apps and more:
Benefits for opting in to G Suite
- Unlimited Storage for email, documents and photos
- No 21 day limit that automatically purges messages from your @nmu.edu email Inbox
- Calendar sharing
- Real-time collaboration with other faculty, staff and students using Google Drive and Google Docs
- Additional account Security with 2-Step Verification (optional)
- Hold video meetings with Hangouts
A brief introduction to G Suite's features is available at the G Suite Learning Center's QuickStart Guide
Please keep the following in mind before opting in:
- Once you opt into G Suite you cannot go back to receiving messages with the previously used NMU email systems.
- New email to your @nmu.edu and/or @mes.nmu.edu address will be delivered to the Google mail server (including calendar invites).
- Email forwarding settings set through MyUser will be ignored.
- The Webmail link in MyNMU will link to Google Gmail.
- Old email messages will not be automatically moved to your @nmu.edu gmail account. They can be accessed using the same method you used before opting in, typically Webmail, Outlook, or OWA.
- If you only need a few of the older messages, you could use the access methods listed above to forward the previously received and sent messages to your G Suite account (yourID@nmu.edu).
- If you have a large quantity of messages, folders, and other items to move to G Suite you can use the instructions in the links below to import the content from the older systems to your G Suite account.
Here are the G Suite Links as clickable text:
Our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page may help you have more questions.
If you are uncomfortable with the opt-in process you can practice opting in using this NMU HelpDesk Interactive Virtual Guide.
Begin using G Suite
Users can opt-in by logging on to MyUser and clicking on the G Suite tab.
** Please note the NMU HelpDesk hours on the right before opting in if you anticipate needing help.