Setting up a network printer in Windows XP
Note: Line Printer Remote (LPR) is built into Windows and is used for printing to printers/print servers over IP networks. The following instructions are for computers running the Windows operating system.
For additional printing instructions for a notebook computer see.
- Choose Start > Printers and Faxes. Click the Add Printer item.
- Click Next.
- Select Local printer for now, uncheck Automatically detect, and click Next.
- Under Create a new port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, and click Next.
- Click Next.
- Enter enter the host name or IP address of your print server, then click Next.
Note: The port name can be any name that makes sense to you.
- Select Custom and click the Settings... button.
- The network printer settings will be displayed. Click Finish.
- Select your printer make and model in the list presented, then click Next.
If your printer does not appear in the list, click the Have Disk button and insert your printer software disc or download the software from the printer manufacturers Web site.
- Enter a name for this printer. You may also choose whether this is the default printer. A default printer is the printer to which each document is automatically sent. The default printer should be the most used. Click Next.
- Make a selection, then click Next.
- Click Finish.