Navigating Word 2011 on a Mac
NMU-issued Macbooks come pre-installed with Microsoft Word 2011. This is a basic guide on how to nagivate Word if you are new to the program.
2. Generally, you will select "Word Document" which will create a blank document. However, depending on what you are creating, you can select a different template.
1. Click the "File" tab and select either "Save" or "Save As..."
- Alternatively, hold the command key ⌘ and click "S." If you click the floppy disk icon your previous save will be overwritten.
- Alternatively, hold the command key ⌘ and click "O."
- Alternatively, hold the command key ⌘ and click "P."
At the top of a Word document, there is a series of icons.
This is a quick explanation of what they mean. If you ever forget what an icon is for, you can hover your mouse over it, and a label will pop up.
: Create New Document from Template
: Open a Document
: Save Current Document
: Cut Selected Text - Will copy whatever text you have selected while removing it from its' current position within the document.
: Copy Selected Text
: Copy Format - Will copy formatting (size, color, font type, etc) of selected text.
: Display non-visible Elements- Will show non-visible elements of the document; such as spaces, line breaks, indentations, etc.
: Toggle Sidebar - Will display/remove sidebar.
: Toggle Toolbox - Will display/remove toolbox from view.
: Media Browser - Brings up media browser.